Alberta Wilderness Association (AWA) is looking for a dynamic, innovative, strategic leader to take our long-standing efforts to protect Alberta wilderness and wildlife to the next level.
AWA (https://albertawilderness.ca/) is a community of more than 7500 defenders of wild Alberta.
AWA is the oldest wilderness conservation group in Alberta dedicated to the completion of a protected areas network and the conservation of wilderness throughout the province. With more than 55 years of success, it is known for its tenacity, corporate memory and integrity. AWA is a non-profit, federally registered, charitable society. We have a provincial office and resource centre in Calgary, and active members and volunteers throughout Alberta.
Our mission is “Defending Wild Alberta through Awareness and Action”.
Our strategic plan demonstrates AWA’s strength, dedication, and passion for Wild Alberta and sets a course for organizational growth and financial strength. AWA achieves its mission through conservation, education, stewardship, and advocacy. We have a dedicated volunteer and supporter base.
Reporting to the Board of Directors, the Executive Director is responsible for providing the operational leadership to AWA’s professional staff and volunteers and strategic assistance to the Board. The Executive Director will be a passionate advocate for defending wild Alberta. The Executive Director will implement Alberta Wilderness Association’s strategic plan. A skilled fundraiser and communicator, the Executive Director will attract and maintain donors and supporters and grow our influence on conservation issues.
AWA is seeking expressions of interest from qualified candidates interested in becoming AWA’s next Executive Director. This role requires superb communication and management skills, creativity, the ability to focus on both strategic and operational issues, and a passionate commitment to wild Alberta.
The successful candidate should have many of the following qualities and experience:
- strong leadership credentials and a high level of integrity,
- excellent communications skills,
- strategic use of social media,
- a record of fundraising success,
- experience working with a volunteer Board of Directors, and
- at least 5 years leading a diverse team.
Experience working with Indigenous Peoples, environmental advocacy organizations, governments, industry, and the agricultural community will be an asset.
This is a challenging and diverse role with new issues arising regularly. Key responsibilities include:
- leadership and management of the staff team
- implementation of the strategic plan to achieve conservation outcomes
- furthering relationships with donors and supporters
The Executive Director’s success will be measured by the AWA’s ability to:
- Support the strategic work of the Board
- Advocate successfully for the conservation of AWA’s areas of interest
- Develop and implement a membership diversity strategy
- Increase resources through donor and funder engagement
- Effectively communicate with AWA supporters, colleagues, and the public
- Manage AWA’s financial operations
- Comply with all legal requirements and maintain AWA’s charitable status
To express your interest in this position, please send a cover letter outlining how you meet the above-mentioned criteria and your resume to Jim Campbell, Board President, via AWAEDsearch@abwild.ca.